These are the poems that were written in moments that mattered.

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Untitled, January 20, 1998

January 20, 1998, 10th Grade, age 15

I wrote this poem the day I found out the papermill in Arizona hadn't closed. We had moved anticipating it closing, and I had hated moving. I was a little bit angry, but also a little bit proud of my parents. They had taken a risk for us kids- to give us the best possible future.

It wasn't to die or disappear,
We would have survived, lived on and grown.
But we left, ran, afraid.
The future to us uknown.
If we would have gone towards the horizon,
It'd be easier to take.
Knowing now, the unknown then,
Our courage was all fake.
The darkness had come, and we left.
Fear, overwhelming our heart.
We didn't know if it was right,
But we set out to make a new start.

Maybe we could have held on,
Maybe been able to strive.
But how were we to know?
All we wanted was to survive.
The new life holds happiness, pains and
growth it seems.
But it wasn't what I imagined,
In my childhood dreams.

I've missed having my stories shared,
and being known.
Yet, I would have missed out on the things
that because of, I have grown.
Our lives have been changed,
But it's become routine somehow.
Yet still I look back and wonder,
Knowing the future, if our lives would be different now.

And after all the wonders,
Questions will remain.
My only comfort is knowing, in both places,
The love felt is the same.  

No comments:

Post a Comment