These are the poems that were written in moments that mattered.

Saturday, January 15, 2011

To a friend

The note I wrote myself about this poem:
Mrs. Hurst said she'd never seen me until then without a smile. This is the poem I wrote to myself because I didn't have a friend to say it to me. I vowed I'd always be there... for the rest of them. My dream is someday they give this poem back... that is the life I want to live.

This poem was written after a few bad days my freshman year. I was 14.


To a friend,
Your smile bright and everlasting, lighting up a room.
It's part of what make you, you; it could make a flower bloom.
It will make someone's day, all that much brighter.
It will make someone's heart, all that much lighter.
A smile, that never leaves your face, and show's everyone your love.
You use it to make them laugh, as if an angel from above.
As if Heaven is using your smile, to brighten someone's day.
Could it be? Is that why you smile in that way?
But something must be wrong, I could see it in the dark.
Your voice has lost its bounce; you're missing your special spark.
I know your heart is hurting; I must ask why?
I know it now by you telling me, and no, I didn't see you cry.
But I can still tell your soul's been aching for awhile.
Who, or what, hurt you so and took away your smile?
Didn't they know the good it brought, to people you would see?
People need your smile, but it's trapped; try to set it free!
Do you miss it, or have you given in?
I wish I could make you laugh, or give a little grin.
An idea! Since you've helped me so many times before,
I'll show you how I love you, since I never showed you before.
Lean on my shoulder, use my eyes if you are blind.
And until you find your smile again, go ahead, use mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment