These are the poems that were written in moments that mattered.

Monday, January 17, 2011

The Joker

Summer 2001- a summer spent in love with the boy I couldn't have- the boy I had walked away from but refused to completely let me go. A summer I spent at a job that frustrated me and where I was actually at the bottom of the seniority list, somewhere I'd never been. A summer where I volunteered at a place where no one even knew my name.

I was feeling very under-appreciated. This was my poem trying to make myself feel special.

The Joker
She's the queen when you need royalty, 
A duce when you need her low.
Be proud when ever you have her:
The Joker will always show.
          No matter what cards are dealt,
          she will pull you through.
          Hold her in your hand a little longer:
          The joker is there for you.
                     Aces and Kings come along a lot,
                     Queens are found every day.
                     But she's special and fragile:
                     Joker's rarely come your way.
     She sets you straight when you're short,
     Is a full house when their gone.
     Pair her up with anything:
     The Joker pulls it all along.
When the lucky hand is delt your way,
Don't pretend that you don't care.
Don't take her for granted:
The Joker won't stay there.
               You can breath a little easier,
               Knowing she's on your side.
               She's strong enough you never fold:
               The Joker's on your side.
          When he sat down at the table
           To decide the rules of the game,
          He created a wild card:
           The Joker became the name.
                              At the table when you want to talk,
                               Fun like the heart of a child-
                               She'll be anything you want or need:
                               The Joker's always wild.
You can choose not to play her, but you'll lose in the end.
Don't forget the joker: the Joker's your best friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment