These are the poems that were written in moments that mattered.

Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Player's Way

My high school secret: I kissed a few boys. I liked to just kiss them, and leave it at that. It didn't mean anything, and I knew that. They were called 'Players' and I knew exactly how to handle them.

Then one changed the rules. This is my reflection on that experience.

January 2000, 12th grade, age 17

The Players' Way
You do the things the players do and say what the players say,
And though you add a special touch- you do things the players' way.
You can make a girl feel special with a simple look in her eyes.
And you sound quite sincere when you tell your player lies.
You stop when she says stop, the way the players do.
You brush off her apologies and say it means nothing to you.
You hold her hand so gently and sweetly brush away her hair.
And then like all the players do- you say you really care.
But, you are a lousy player- for you spoke way too much.
Your lies were too far and too gentle was your touch.
You're the lousiest of actors and so easy to not believe.
You forgot to make it seem real... what were you trying to achieve?
You talked about our future, breaking player rule number one.
And you stuck around to talk- you didn't get up to run.
You called the next morning- which players shouldn't do.
You brought in flowers and stayed the whole day too.
The act was going good, and I nearly believe it wasn't fake.
But you just kept at it, and made your fatal mistake.
So I knew you must be playing; it was then easy to see.
For you actually said you loved, and no one could love me.
You came so close to playing well, but you tried to go too far.
Players don't say please call me, never talk about what you are.
Maybe your tricks would work on someone never played before.
But I've seen all the players' jokes, and they're easy for me to ignore.
So next time just end with a kiss 'goodbye' and there's nothing more to say.
For when you pretend to give your heart, you destroy the players' way.

No comments:

Post a Comment