These are the poems that were written in moments that mattered.

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Dear Mom and Dad

After living under the roof of a crazy man for a little over a month, and having a job working with kids in foster care, I realized just how amazing my parents were.

Dear Mom and Dad
Thanks for showing me mountains and lakes and for having
animals that don't attack me.Thank you for living where 
there are familiar faces and teachers know my name.
 Thanks for living where it's safe outside and you can see stars 
at night. I'm glad you knew my different moods and didn't expect
me to be the same.

I loved the notes in the morning and the messages on the phone.
Thanks for asking how I was and for knowing when not to pry.
Thanks for letting me laugh and ramble about nothing without 
interrupting me. Thank you for the smiles and for knowing
enough to not ask why.

I appreciate when you left the room because I looked like I was
working. I appreciate every time you offered dinner, even when
I was running out the door.
Thank you for not knocking and apologizing every time you came
in to talk. It was good to know where I could sit and where I 
could throw things on the floor.

Thank you for never letting dinner be silent, and for letting
the mail pile up. Thanks for believing in my strength and for
knowing I'd get the job done.
Thank you for teasing my mistakes and for letting my act goofy.
I appreciate how you left it to me to decide my work and my fun.

Thanks for not swearing around me and for telling me how I look
I appreciate the hugs and how I could kiss your cheek goodnight.
Thanks for saying bless you and for asking if I was sick.
Thanks for your faith that I'd be home and for leaving on the
porch light.

No comments:

Post a Comment