These are the poems that were written in moments that mattered.

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Heroes

My hero at this point in my life was actually a senior in my high school. I'd known her for years. She was president of the club I wanted to be president of. She got amazing grades. She was on the dance team. She had friends and a social life. She was beautiful and had everything together. 

Until the second half of her senior year. We were on a committee together and spent a lot of time talking. She was struggling with a lot of things that I couldn't even imagine being in my life. On our last day on the committee, after the closing ceremony, she hugged me. She told me she'd never have made it to the end if I hadn't been there. My hero says I saved her...

March 27, 1999   11th Grade, age 17

Heroes
Why do heroes have to fall?
And was it hard for them to land?
For at times they gave their all,
and shouldn't we take their hand?

How do we turn our back on a hero?
Even though they chose their own road.
I just don't know...
Why they couldn't bear the load.
For at one time they were so strong,
and had nothing to fear.
Now they hardly get along,
and are very rarely here.
And it's so hard to watch the fall,
and know they were once like you.
It makes you want to fear it all...
because now you doubt what's true.
And you want to pick them back up.
Like they'd done when you'd cry,
You pretend there down on their luck,
and just need a push to help them try.
But sometime we surpass our hero,
Who do we look to now?
How do we know which way to go?
Who will show us how?
But they have a right to live,
their life is theirs to choose.
You never thought they'd stop to give,
And take the road that made them lose.
Now there's no one to follow,
What's the scariest part of all?
Is we may be someone's hero...
But even heroes get to fall.
Why do heroes have to fall???

No comments:

Post a Comment