These are the poems that were written in moments that mattered.

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Immediate Best Friends

In elementary school I was a geek. I was very shy, and had trouble making friends. I had a new best friend every month. In fourth grade, I can't even say I had a best friend. I just jumped from one person to the other on the playground.

That changed on the first day of 5th grade. I heard a new girl mention my current best friend, and neighbor. New girl had just moved in a few blocks from us, and they'd met at church. I felt an instant connection to Brittany. Then, I met another girl who had just moved in, and was instantly drawn to Jessica.

These two girls became my best friends that year. Together, they satisfied both sides of my Gemini soul. After that, I was never alone.

This poem was written as an assignment in 7th grade English, detailing this experience. It is formatted as a 20 Project Poem. (Google it.)

She was as quiet as a rabbit.
I could feel her shyness.
I could see why she was alone.
Jessica was new, from California
Jessica was invisible to everyone else
The shy girl of sadness did nothing but read
She would look up sometimes but the book would call her back
We would go on to become best friends.
Another new girl appeared from no where.
I heard her voice.
This boyish girl looked friendly.
She was quiet and shy.
"Jam, come here," Falan yelled to Jamie.
Falan had always been loco en la cabeza.
Brittany was by Falan, tall and weak
She was the fastest runner I'd ever see.
The urge to introduce Jessica to Brittany was like seeing light after days in dark.
After introducing them I could taste their happiness in the air.
I could smell our immediate friendship.
Immediate Best Friends

No comments:

Post a Comment