These are the poems that were written in moments that mattered.

Monday, January 17, 2011

I'm Just Me

Winter 2003, age 20

I was completely, madly, head-over for Andy. I also knew that I couldn't be with him completely yet. He kept asking when I'd marry him, and the only response I could offer at the time was, Someday.

I'm Just Me
You should be looking at the stars, not wasting time with me.
I'm grateful your heart saw something I am yet to see.

I can't promise you the world, but I would if it were mine to give.
But I promise to do the best that I can as long as I'm allowed to live.

I can't give you your dreams but I can wish you'll have your day.
I can wait behind them and I won't get in their way.

I can't give you all you want; your life is yours to make.
But if you need a hand I have one here only for you to take.

I can promise to be your buddy: to laugh with you through the day,
to try to make you smile even when I don't know what to say.
I can promise to be your best friend: to talk with you through the night,
to be there when you need me and to tell you everything will be alright.

If you want me to I'll love you; if you don't I will anyway.
I don't ever want this to be over so I'm asking, "Can I stay?"

One day I'll vow forever, right now I don't know when.
But I promise to be your buddy, your love and your best friend.

I offer you my hand; I give to you my heart. 
I know it's not close to the universe, but it's my small part.

No comments:

Post a Comment