These are the poems that were written in moments that mattered.

Sunday, January 16, 2011

They Don't Like Me

This poem risks hurting people, so be careful reading it. I realize now that how I felt then was crazy, but I was 18 at the time. I was caught between being a child and being on my own in the world. I was still living at home, but was a graduated, legal adult who would be leaving home in two months. I didn't know where I fit in at home anymore. I didn't know what was expected of me. June 2000.  

They Don't Like Me
They don't like me, but don't they love what I do?
The trophies, awards, grades and offices I bring home?
They cheer at all my events and cheer for the win.
But I might as well be there alone.

I'm on stage, faking a smile, shaking out of fear.
And they yell and clap and their camera's flash.
The looks that say hold on, come from somewhere else-
From people they consider to be trash.

But those are the looks that keep my going.
They keep the smile on my face.
I love all the lectures they give me-
But that doesn't help me win the race.

I can be president, mayor, captain and much more-
My grades can be a perfect four-point-o g.p.a.
But I'm still a lying sack of shit and lazy-
A hoe, a slut, and a bitch they say.

Then the relatives are told how I make them proud.
How I go here and there... always on the go.
And when others tell them I'm so good, it's smiles.
But then I forget the dishes and I'm again a hoe.

So maybe I'm not so good, that I will admit.
But better leaders, I know very few.
So I guess I'll live with respect not love...
Cuz they dont' like me, but love the things I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment